Dounreay is Scotland’s largest decommissioning project and is widely recognised as Europe’s most complex nuclear closure programme. For more than 50 years it was known as the centre of the UK’s fast reactor research and development and now the team is aiming to be recognised as a centre of excellence for nuclear decommissioning. Dounreay offers an opportunity to be involved in some of the UK’s most leading edge technical projects, developing unique skills and experiences which are highly sought after across the industry.
The independent challenge and oversight team provides assurance to internal and external stakeholders that Dounreay is operating to adequate health, safety, security, environment, and quality (HSSEQ) standards and processes. A vacancy has arisen within the team for an independent assessor with proven operational or project experience to undertake facility inspection, surveillance and verification activities.
- Plan, undertake, review and report on HSSEQ assessments
- Participate in readiness reviews completed to support the release of internal holdpoints
- Conduct facility inspections and participate in safety observations and other walk-rounds
- Present inspection and verification findings to internal and external stakeholders, including submission of formal reports
- Participate in unusual occurrence/loss control formal investigations
- Evaluate actions taken to address non compliances
Desirable aptitudes and experience
- Qualified to at least HND in science/engineering or an equivalent qualification
- NEBOSH certificate would be an advantage but is not essential
- Minimum 2 year’s experience in operations/projects/engineering discipline
- Formal auditor qualifications (e.g. ISO 9001, 14001, OHSAS 18001 lead auditor)
- Experience of working with a wide range of stakeholders and managing their expectations (e.g. NDA, ONR and SEPA)
- Nuclear site licence company experience
- An understanding of the philosophy behind the application of regulatory and legislative requirements
- Familiar with safety, security and environmental management systems and procedures
- An understanding of the hazards and controls associated with radioactive material handling and transportation (including UK RAM transport requirements)
- Experience of performing HSSEQ audit, inspection and surveillance activities during execution phases of major projects
- The ability to work under pressure to time deadlines whilst maintaining quality of output
- Be self-motivated, assertive and willing to challenge
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and influencing skills
The package includes relocation assistance (where appropriate), a company pension scheme and generous annual leave entitlement.
The successful candidate will be required to hold SC security clearance or be prepared to undergo security vetting to attain this level.
Salary: From £36,069 per annum DoE
Reference Number: 101/18
Closing Date: Friday 16 November 2018
Interviews to be held: Week commencing 3 December 2018
To apply: Please complete an application which can be downloaded from www.dounreaycareers.com
For further information contact: Stuart Webster, Tel: 01847 806382 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications to: HR Department, Traill House, 7 Olrig Street, Thurso, KW14 7BJ or by email to email@example.com
Dounreay’s Civil Nuclear Constabulary are recruiting
A police force offering a variety of police officer and support roles at all levels – see the website for more details.